Monday, February 7, 2011

Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week

I am a heart mom and as much as this blog is not about my daughter, CHDs are a part of my life.  This week is congenital heart defect awareness week and I would be remiss if I didn't post about it.  Please watch this video for CHD Awareness Week and pass on the message.



Every 15 minutes in this country, a baby is born with a heart defect.  Every 2.5 hours, a baby under age 1 loses their battle with CHD.  Unfortunately, routine screening for heart defects is not yet done and many babies go home from the hospital undiagnosed.  Awareness is needed so more parents know what to look for.  To see the importance of awareness, read the blog When Life Hands You a Broken Heart.  Today, Stefenie highlights a story of a child who was not diagnosed until 15 and the devastating results her family is now facing.

If you would like to learn more, here are some great links that discuss the symptoms of CHD and provide more information.
Symptoms of CHD from the NIH
List of CHD Facts
More CHD facts from the American Heart Association

2 comments:

  1. I was just checking over my "followers" and, voila, there you are. And, I think I know you and the Dancing Queen TRex and the Mad Scientist. And, if I don't I want to. How many points does a touchdown count for....and, isn't the Super Bowl all about the food anyway?

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to check out www.elizabethaquino.blogspot.com. She's an interesting person whose oldest daughter, Sophie, 15 has very special needs. Elizabeth is a writer. She lives in Los Angeles. And I've enjoyed her daily musings and her political pieces. She also has to do battle with insurance companies as Sophie's advocate.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Having a child with a CHD is like being given an extra sense---the true ability to appreciate life. Each breath, each hug, each meal is a blessing when you've watched your child live off a ventilator, trapped in an ICU bed, being fed through a tube. Each minute is a miracle when you've watched your child almost die and come back to you.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...