Friday, March 11, 2011

Date Night

I want a date night. Just a simple date night. A night where my husband and I can go out and enjoy a meal while it is still hot. There will be no threat of a child vomiting all over the table and the humiliation that follows. A glass of wine can be enjoyed over a discussion that is not interrupted every two seconds. And I'm pretty sure if we got this date, I wouldn't have to yell to sit down and face forward.

I love date night.

For a little while we had a date night every two months or so, but I don't think we've had one since our anniversary in November. Nope, I didn't even get a night out for my birthday. Granted, we did get a night out in February when I worked a wine tasting and silent auction for the non-profit organization of which I am a board member. However, that night was not what I would call relaxing, especially with horrid driving conditions caused by a freak and surprise snow storm. And I didn't really get any time with the Mad Scientist.

Date night is more than just getting out. It is a time to reconnect with my husband, a time to remember we chose this life together for a reason. My husband is my best friend and even though I see him every night, I miss him. While I can't pretend we won't talk about kids on our date night (I know we will because we always do), I do know that date night recharges our relationship. We need this. 

The Mad Scientist was trying to make a date night happen this weekend, but it is a no go because there is nobody to watch the kids. I really need to find a responsible person to watch my children for an evening. I would pay well, but they can't be afraid of the Dancing Queen and they have to be able to give meds and breathing treatments. Any suggestions of how to find the perfect babysitter?

2 comments:

  1. Any nursing schools in your area? LPN programs? NA training? You and the Mad Scientist really do need a date night. Under the best of circumstances, it's important. If those suggestions aren't possible, how about a catered (well, you can pick up some delicacies that you both enjoy along with a bottle of wine) meal, candles, time for a chat and, perhaps, a movie while snuggling in your living room after the children are in bed? To make that work, perhaps you could just hire a regular baby sitter to start training while you are having your at home date.
    After a few at home dates, you'll be able to tell if the sitter is working out.

    I hope you find a way soon.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late with this comment, but I found my sitter through the local chapter of MOMS Club International. I was a member and just used the chapters online forum to ask other local moms for referrals. We ended up with a college student who was very responsible and had a reasonable rate.

    ReplyDelete

Having a child with a CHD is like being given an extra sense---the true ability to appreciate life. Each breath, each hug, each meal is a blessing when you've watched your child live off a ventilator, trapped in an ICU bed, being fed through a tube. Each minute is a miracle when you've watched your child almost die and come back to you.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...