Friday, April 22, 2011

Weekly Wrap Up

To wrap up this week, Dancing Queen was released from the hospital last Saturday.
Waiting for the IV to come out so she could hit the road!
Sunday, I disappointed the kids over and over again. First, took them to the park, but had to leave after a minute because it was too cold. Took them to the candy store to make up for the error. It was closed. We promised them the movies, but I took too long grocery shopping to go. Not fun! But, I made up for it with the purchase of "Tangled".

Monday brought sadness when I spent the afternoon in my OB's office, remembering and thinking. By Wednesday, I was bound and determined to be up beat. It is working, but I'm still having scatter brain problems. Thursday, I uploaded DQ's heart story here. It has been published in a book of heart stories, so you may have seen it before.  Tonight, I am going to a baseball game in the cold and rain.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and if you want to chat with me, check out my Facebook page. I'm thinking of doing a post on comfort items for kids, such as pacifiers, and want to know what do you think. Is it wrong for a child to use a pacifier after a certain age? Does it matter if the child is sick? Do you call out other parents when their child is using a pacifier in public or is drinking from a bottle, but is clearly older than even a toddler? What do you say when people say things about your child? Has someone commented about your child's lovey or their use of a sippy cup?  Inquiring minds want to know.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your post on comfort items. I just realized this past week that I am a hypocrite with comfort items. My nephew is almost 3 and still has a pacifier. I take it away from him when he comes over. Sadly, my almost 3 year old (heart healthy) son still takes a bottle before he goes to bed. Hope has a blanket that she carries everywhere and I love it. I will probably NEVER take it away from her. She doesn't use a pacifier and gave the bottle up when she learned about sippy cups. It is her only lovey.

    About being making comments...I just ignore them. I know I'm not a perfect mom and commenting on it won't change it. I try hard not to make comments about how other people parent...I really don't have the time or even really care much if someone lets their kid use a pacifier when they are 5.

    Again, I am so excited to read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, loving that picture. What a cutie!

    As far as paci's, lovies, etc. I just do whatever works for us. I think it's your job as a parent to try to bring the least amount of stress possible into your kids' lives. There are so many other big things to worry about, and kids worry too (as you certainly know), that I don't see the good in adding any additional drama. If your 2 or 3 yr old needs a paci to relax, so what? They will outgrow it eventually. What is the hurry?

    As far as other people, who is anyone to judge what is best for your family? Just do what works for you! (And, reading S.R.M.M.'s blog has reminded me that you generally have no idea what is going on with someone else's kid, so it's ridiculous to assume you know better than the parents.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it wrong for a child to use a pacifier after a certain age? Not "wrong" but I think there is an age it is definitely less "acceptable." I mean, is it acceptable for a kindergartener to use a paci? No. I think 2 or 3 is the age to try and break the habit.

    Does it matter if the child is sick? Yes, I think it does. I don't think a sick child, who has been in and out of hospitals, who needs more comforting than most, can be expected to live by the same standards.

    Do you call out other parents when their child is using a pacifier in public or is drinking from a bottle, but is clearly older than even a toddler? NO?! Are you kidding me? That is none of my business. Period.

    What do you say when people say things about your child? Has someone commented about your child's lovey or their use of a sippy cup?
    No one has said anything to me about Luke being too old for something. If they did, I'd probably get a little sassy on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dq is adorable!!

    Before being a mom I judged but now I realize there's more to life and parenting than arbitrary deadlines.

    ReplyDelete

Having a child with a CHD is like being given an extra sense---the true ability to appreciate life. Each breath, each hug, each meal is a blessing when you've watched your child live off a ventilator, trapped in an ICU bed, being fed through a tube. Each minute is a miracle when you've watched your child almost die and come back to you.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...